Monday, August 13, 2012

Philanthropy: Paying It Forward (Pre-India)


Currently I am sitting at the office, trying to work, but failing miserably.  All I can think about is an experience that happened before leaving for India.  I've been meaning to write about it, but simply couldn't find the time.  Since I can't get it off my mind I guess I'll write about it now....

A couple days before my flight I went to stay in Cape Girardeau for a couple of days.  I had some free time so I decided to visit a little shop downtown that had recently opened.  It is called Philanthropy Fashion.  This is a very unique and overall wonderful organization!  It is a social enterprise focused on social good, which is exactly what my future in India is all about.  They sell beautiful and fashionable clothing, some from around the world, and donate partial profits to local charities.  The store pledges at least 10% of its total sales to these designated charities.  Cape is the first franchise of the mother store, which opened in June of 2007.  Their platform and belief is that a business built around charitable works and grounded in Christ can make a difference in the world.  I didn't know much about this business when I entered their store, but after leaving I felt in awe of the works being completed by this business and its owner.  


My necklace I wear most days with the Giving
Key, my 'dog person' charm, and my Sinfonian
Sweetheart pendant from Andy
I was fortunate enough to meet the owner during my visit.  I found an awesome pair of sandals called Sseko Sandals and mentioned that Africa was close to my heart because of my time spent in Rwanda last year.  The co-operative making these sandals is very similar to the co-ops I encountered while in Rwanda with Global Youth Connect.  I then heard the owner's story, and she listened to what I'd be doing in India. I was so inspired by her!  And apparently she was inspired by me as well which was an amazing feeling.  Before leaving she gave me a Giving Key inscribed with the word Inspire.  She said I had inspired her, and she just felt like she needed to give this key to me.  The Giving Key is a great organization that works to employ the homeless while putting its profits towards transitional homes and facilities.  The idea is that when you buy a key, or are given one, you must not keep it.  Instead, you should pay it forward during some time in your future.  For example, the owner of Philanthropy felt inspired by my story and what I was doing so she wanted to give me something meaningful to explain and share that amazing feeling.  At some point I will pass that key along to someone who inspires me as well.  The entire idea is based upon paying it forward.    

Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the first candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared. 

Buddha truly knew how to turn a phrase!  All kidding aside, this quote is very important to me for many reasons.  I use it now because it touches so greatly upon the idea of paying it forward, sharing our own success and happiness.  It is so easy to do, yet all too often we bottle up that show of love and good tidings for ourselves as if releasing it will cause us to be unhappy!  Tolerance and compassion are the most amazing and heartfelt ways to share the love.  My current situation is quite the measure of this!  I am surrounded by amazing people who all believe very different things.  It is important to always remember that God never once told us to only be nice and compassionate toward people who think and act like ourselves!  We are commanded to love our neighbors around the world, no matter their beliefs or customs, skin color, sexuality, gender, nationality, ethnicity, etc.  



One class of Girls at my school
Before leaving for India I found myself doubting... myself, my capabilities, my life paths, my goals, my everything.  I knew God had something great in store for me, but when faced with difficulties and the unknown it is easy to forget to trust Him and His plan.  I've tried many times to make my own plans; they do not resemble my current situation at all!  God knew what was right for me, even when I didn't.  Here I am in Hyderabad, India:  the majority here are of Hindu faith, I am living in a predominately Muslim neighborhood, and I am working with a completely Muslim school.  In no way am I here as a missionary.  In fact, India has strict laws against various kinds of conversion between faith, etc. and I am not in the business to be breaking laws!  However, I am free to believe as I choose without interference with my work.  I can show God's love through my actions instead of through words.  Most Indians I have encountered through my school associate white people with Christianity.  This may not be the whole of India, but for my situation it is.  They associate my actions with my beliefs.  Reality check?  You bet. 

Trying to keep that blonde covered!
The moment my troubles and worries ceased was when I prayed.  I prayed for strength and guidance.   When I visited Philanthropy I never imagined a little key would help to transform me so much!  That one incident helped set a lot more in motion than that wonderful lady could have imagined.  I had been struggling without realizing it.... I needed to recapture my own faith and beliefs.  I'm definitely still working on it, but I am getting there.  All too often I explain to people that religion is man-made and will always falter, but faith is truly divine.  I can't explain where I'll be after this year, or five years from now, but I know with a little help I'll be happy and will hopefully still be trying to 'pay it forward' in every way I can.  Because of my faith, I know that I can make it through this year and hopefully do some good along the way. 




"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  - Jeremiah 29:11






1 comment:

  1. That is so awesome and inspiring, Brittany! I love you so much and am so proud of you! ~Mom~

    ReplyDelete