Saturday, May 19, 2012

Shopping

I bought:

LUGGAGE! I learned just how tough the luggage handlers are when I traveled to Rwanda last summer.  I tore up one of my suitcases, and the one I borrowed came back held together with zebra print duct tape.  Fortunately, I found these great hot pink suitcases!  They are hard cased and the zipper is in the middle instead of the top (less chance of it breaking!).  Some people's reviews mentioned a terrible odor..... However, the slight smell associated with them was easily diffused with a few dryer sheets locked inside each compartment for a few days.  So far I am greatly impressed with these!  They are a great deal on ebags.com and I even found some bigger discount codes to lower the price even more on retailmenot.com.  Cannot wait to be the first person at the airport terminal baggage claim to notice my luggage on the belt!  Hot pink is pretty hard to miss.


LUGGAGE SCALE!  & COMPRESSION BAGS!  The last two times I've traveled I have had a little problem.... over packing.  I believe most people struggle with this, especially other female travelers out there!  With various different travel restrictions regarding weight and baggage dimensions, both compression bags and hand held scales are the perfect traveling companions!  I can easily weigh my bags before turning them over to the guards, and the bags give me much needed space while packing.  The bags don't need a vacuum; all you do is 'roll' the bag and the air escapes through a one-way valve.  It is great!  And the scale is lightweight, and measures in pounds and kilograms.  I got the compression bags in the pack of three (small, medium, large) so I can easily use my large and medium luggage case and the small one for my carry-on.  Good news is that the discount codes work for these as well!

BAG BUNGEE!  This thing is great!  I'm still working out the kinks, but it is going to be very useful.  You strap it on to the handles of the suitcase, and then strap it around to secure the carry-on.  When I was on my way to Rwanda I had to carry so much luggage that it was simply miserable.  I'll be carrying the same amount (possibly more) to India.  Before I tried to keep my carry-on situated on the large suitcase.  The problem is that it kept falling off!  Luckily, this little gadget secures it on top and makes it much easier.  And luckily for my fashion taste, I was able to score this little number in a black and white zebra print.  And once again, ebags had a great deal on this and the online coupons I found online gave an even bigger discount. 


Not sure what else I need to buy, but hopefully not too much more.... but I do have a wish list!  As I pack up my apartment I've designated one large tub to all things I think I'll take to India, and it includes the things I'll probably need during my month at home before leaving.  I've looked into an e-reader, but still debating.  I'm also looking for a pair of lightweight solar lanterns to take with me.  Unfortunately, the one I took with me to Rwanda miraculously disappeared one day.... I sure hope that little boy I saw eyeing it last summer is currently enjoying it! ha!  I've also been able to sell LOTS of stuff that I don't need online through craigslist and some of facebook's sell groups in my area.  Also, my family has decided to help me have an old-fashioned yard sale after I get home for any items I haven't sold.  CANNOT WAIT for some quality time at home with the family.  My mom has already signed me up to attend a scrapbook convention with her during the first of June.  Hopefully I'll get my full bucket list for this summer together soon!      


No comments:

Post a Comment